Friday, January 30, 2015

Homemade Lavender Whipped Body Butter



Ok guys, I have been having the MOST fun playing around with essential oils.  I have been diffusing them constantly around the house because they smell like unicorns and rainbows!  I LOVE them!

I decided that I wanted to make some lavender body butter to put on the kids after bath time in the evening.  It was totally a piece of cake.  And, seriously, this stuff looked like the icing for the cake when I was making it.  I was glad that the kids were in bed, because they for sure would have been fighting me to lick the bowl!

It does go on a little more oily than I expected, but after a minute it absorbs right into your skin.  I might try adjusting the coconut oil a little next time just to play around a bit.  I am totally planning on making a peppermint version of this next because I think it would smell heavenly.  And I love the feeling of peppermint oil on my skin - that cool tingle is wonderful!

Here's the recipe:

1 cup shea butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup sweet almond oil
10-30 drops essential oil - you can really use whatever you want.  I used about 10 drops of lavender and 10 of lemon in mine

Put all of the ingredients together in a double boiler and heat them over medium heat on the stove, stirring constantly until everything is melted.  When everything is melted, let them cool for a short time, and then place in the refrigerator for an hour to an hour and a half until the mixture is starting to turn solid.  Remove from the fridge, and use a mixer to beat for 10 minutes until fluffy.  I personally put everything in my Kitchen Aid mixer and used the whisk attachment.  Otherwise you could use a hand mixer.  Transfer the butter to containers of your choice, and you are all set! 

No comments :