Saturday, January 15, 2011

1-14-10 Appointment

I had my appointment with Dr. Teverbaugh yesterday. Fundal height was measuring spot on - 20 inches at 20 weeks. That was great - last time I started measuring small and having AFI issues. I've gained about 6 or 7 pounds at this point. The baby's heartrate was 156 this time. I can't remember if I wrote down the previous ones...12/10/09 was 155bpm, 11/10/09 was 160bpm.

So then, the not so super news. The sono showed a complete placenta previa. This means that the placenta is totally covering the cervix - baby's way out. I was so disappointed. Previas that are not complete (like ones only partially covering the cervix) have a very high chance of movement up in the uterus. Complete previas CAN move, but it is not as common. Dr. Teverbaugh didn't think mine would move, and she pretty much told me not to count on the VBAC I have been wanting. So, that was a tough pill for me to swallow. Obviously I want to get the baby out safely, but still it is sad to me. The previa doesn't necessarily mean anything bad for baby at this point. I just have to watch what I'm doing, not lift too much weight, no strenuous exercise, etc. It's possible bleeding can become an issue with it. If that happens I have to call in right away.

My next appointment is 2-14-11, at which time I'll have to do the 1 hour glucose screen, and she also set up another sono to check where the placenta is lying at that point. I am praying that it somehow moves.

No comments :