Monday, June 14, 2010

Cooking

I got sick of never knowing what I was going to make for dinner each night. Seriously, it drove me nuts. So, in a very accountantly fashion, I made a calendar on a spreadsheet and planned out dinner every night for the past month. Yes, I'm a nerd. But you know what...it's fantastic! I LOVE coming home every night and knowing what it's going to be. I LOVE going to the grocery store and not wandering aimlessly around trying to figure out what I'm going to make wasting time roaming up and down the aisles with a 2 year old who needs to be entertained. It just makes life so much easier. And then to top it off, depending on what I'm making for the night, sometimes I'll make 2 and freeze one of them. Hello organization! Wooohooo! Tonight I got home from work at 5:10, and dinner was on the table by 5:30.

I kind of forgot that I like to cook, because it was always such a pain in the butt. Here's my fast and yummy recipe from tonight:

Cheesy Chicken Tortellini Toss (out of BHG cookbook)
1 bag of cheese tortellini
2 c broccoli
1 tbs butter/margarine
1 tbs flour
1 c milk
2 c cheese - recipe calls for swiss, but I used up what I had leftover in my fridge
1 tbs dijon mustard
2 c of chicken - cut into small pieces (I cheated tonight and used chicken in a can)

Boil tortellini in large skillet/pot. Add broccoli during the last five minutes. In the meantime melt butter in a saucepan & add flour when melted. Stir. Then add milk all at once. Stir continuously until thick and bubbly. Add the cheese and mustard. Stir until melted and then add the chicken. Drain the tortellini/broccoli. When the cheese mixture is heated through, pour over the pasta and toss until covered. Dinner's ready!

3 comments :

EricaB said...

Lucas and I are ALWAYS complaining about what to make for dinner. We were JUST saying we needed to do something like this so we didn't wonder every night "what's for dinner?" Great idea! And keep the recipes coming! I'm totally stealing this one. :-) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm soooooooooo jealous!

So if it is in a spreadsheet...does that mean you can share your ideas? :)

I need to get this going on my end...EC and i fret over this too. I actually planned ahead this week...does make things easier...especially with adding 2 kids back to the mix. The days of, eh...PB & J works tonight just don't cut it! :)
Susie

Kristin said...

I can totally share my spreadsheet with you girls, if you want. I've only been doing it for a month, so it's a litte rough, but you can format it to your liking. This is such a dorky little thing, but I can't believe how much easier it makes my life! I've decided that I'm going to do something similar w/ cleaning...but baby steps first, right?